USC Textbook Design & Layout, App
The University of South Carolina produces its own textbook for their University 101 course, which helps new students make a successful transition to the University of South Carolina, both academically and personally. The book is updated, rewritten, and rearranged every one to two years and USC needs a reliable book designer that can cheerfully puzzle a million pieces together into a great-looking functional book. That is where Evergreen Design Studio comes in…
- This particular year called for making the book more interactive – inside the printed edition with quizzes and spaces to write in, on a website with interactive forms, and in the first higher education textbook app.
- To create a great looking and useful resource for incoming students
- To create visual consistency throughout the book and online materials
- Accommodate and create all the graphics within the text in a visually appealing, useful, and legible way
- Piece together multiple Word files in to a print ready InDesign book file, maintaining author styles, carefully treating all typography and editing for widows, orphans, stacked words, etc
- Make edits to the text after it’s in the initial layout
- Create an app from the finished textbook
First Things First
Almost immediately after USC publishes Transitions, they begin work on editing and updating the next version. After they have a clear idea of how the inside content will change, they contact me to begin work on a new cover and inside design that jives with the new editorial content. I begin with the cover design and inside design elements, crafting the look of the book while the writers and editors finalize the editorial content. I create several different cover options, and when one is chosen, I begin the inside design picking colors that go well with garnet and black and design elements that convey the current year’s attitude.